Q: What is COVID-19?
A: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China. It has spread from infected animals to humans which is very unusual. It has escalated and continues to infect people around the world.
Q: What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
A: COVID-19 has similar symptoms like the flu and common colds, but patients mainly report having mild to severe respiratory illness that may lead to severe illness or death. The symptoms of this Coronavirus may typically appear 2-14 days after exposure.
Most common symptoms include:
- Dry cough
Less common sumptoms:
- Aches and pains
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Rash on skin, or discoloration of fingers or toes
Seek immediate medical attention if you have serious symptoms.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Chest pain or pressure
- Loss of speech or movement
Q: How can I protect my family from COVID-19?
A: The best way to prevent contracting Coronavirus is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. There are simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses. These include:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. The CDC is recommending “social distancing”, meaning keeping a distance of at least 6 feet from one another even for healthy people.
- When touching foreign surfaces, always follow up by washing your hands
- Stay away from those who may have been exposed to the virus, or those showing symptoms of the virus.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, you should
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
How can FirstMed help?
A: FirstMed is here to help you with all your urgent care needs and keep emergency rooms available for COVID-19 and other serious illnesses.
Can a FirstMed provider test for COVID-19?
A: Yes, FirstMed can test for COVID-19. Please call the facility nearest you before coming into the clinic for directions.
What is FirstMed doing to protect patients and providers from COVID-19?
A: FirstMed is practicing social distancing within its clinics and wearing protective equipment with all ill patients. We are also sanitizing all surfaces regularly.
Can I use FirstMed Virtual Visit if I think I have COVID-19
A: Yes. You can be assessed for COVID-19 testing on a Virtual visit and if appropriate, be tested in person at the clinic.